• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hello,

For those with Heat N Glo fireplaces, do you know of any local contractors that sell and install fan kits? And also do you remember how much it ran you?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ToThe4thMansion

ToThe4thMansion
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 31-August 05

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hello,

For those with Heat N Glo fireplaces, do you know of any local contractors that sell and install fan kits? And also do you remember how much it ran you?

Thanks for the help.

I picked one up for our heat -n- glo fireplace about a month or so ago $200 for the kit.

Was simple to install.

- slide the fan to back under the fireplace and plug in to the outlet (also under the fireplace)

- add speed control knob to the fireplace contol unit that has the pilot/start knobs (at least thats where it goes on my heat -n- glo) and attach the heat sensor to bolt already existing on the bottom of firebox (check sensor orientation)

- wire together the speed control, heat sensor and the power wires from the side of the outlet under the fireplace. All the wires should have fittings on the end to "connect" together without any tools.

Of course your fireplace needs that outlet behind the bottom grill to exist and be live as well as having the wires on the side of the outlet (wires should currently be "connected" together already to complete the circuit). Otherwise you'll need a electrician setup the outlet.

If you want to attempt it install youself, first make sure the plug is there under the fireplace and has power (test with a small lamp or something) before you buy the blower kit. Then make sure you turn the breaker off (test with the lamp again) before start playing with the wires.

I picked mine up at the store below.

Fireplace Solutions Inc.
14088 A Sullyfield Circle
Chantilly, VA 20151
(703) 961-0212 - Phone

#3 scooter

scooter
  • Brambletonian
  • 4,110 posts
  • Joined 18-September 05

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

I'm glad you posted this question... I forgot to reply in another thread about my experience with these guys:

Gas Log Warehouse
703-450-6305

Anywho, I liked 'em and they also sell and install these blower kits, if you don't feel like installing it yourself.

#4 maeve

maeve
  • Brambletonian
  • 9,764 posts
  • Joined 07-September 05

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

I'm glad you posted this question... I forgot to reply in another thread about my experience with these guys:

Gas Log Warehouse
703-450-6305

Anywho, I liked 'em and they also sell and install these blower kits, if you don't feel like installing it yourself.

Did you have the fan installed on your fireplace? I'm peeved that the M&S rep talked us of the option.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

"You know how when you've planned a vacation to a fabulous place and you can't wait to get there and you try to hurry the journey to your destination? Well, that's how I feel about this journey. I know that the end destination is going to be wonderful and I'm eager to get there. I just need to learn how to enjoy the road there—maybe see the sights."—Maeve

#5 scooter

scooter
  • Brambletonian
  • 4,110 posts
  • Joined 18-September 05

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

Did you have the fan installed on your fireplace? I'm peeved that the M&S rep talked us of the option.

No, but the technician who did the fireplace tuneup said that it would cost about $200 to install the kit. Considering that the other place mentioned above quoted a price of $200 just for the kit with NO installation, you might want to call Gas Log to get a quote.

#6 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

Scott - thanks for the referral, however I just called them and the lady that answered said they only install fireplaces and not fankits. I don't think she knew what she was talking about - she sounded unsure.

Oh well, I suppose I may give some others a call to see if they sell/install fan kits.

#7 my3sons

my3sons
  • 1,073 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

You know how I love sounding stupid...Is this so that you can blow the hot air from the fireplace out into the room? We had a similar type fireplace in our old house and it gave off a ton of heat. This one not so much. Maybe we are missing the fan. Was it an option?

#8 BDC

BDC
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

You know how I love sounding stupid...Is this so that you can blow the hot air from the fireplace out into the room? We had a similar type fireplace in our old house and it gave off a ton of heat. This one not so much. Maybe we are missing the fan. Was it an option?

Yes, you are likely missing the fan. We don't have one in ours either but we would like to get one installed. I'm not sure if it was an option or not when we built the house.
"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~Milton Berle

#9 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

Yeah - we have a M&S house, but being a spec home, all the options were already picked out for us ahead of time. So we didn't have the option, though I would have done it if we had. Our fp does not put out enough heat w/out getting a fan.

#10 maeve

maeve
  • Brambletonian
  • 9,764 posts
  • Joined 07-September 05

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Yeah - we have a M&S house, but being a spec home, all the options were already picked out for us ahead of time. So we didn't have the option, though I would have done it if we had. Our fp does not put out enough heat w/out getting a fan.

We have an M&S home and it was an option. Our sales rep dissuaded us from selecting that option.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

"You know how when you've planned a vacation to a fabulous place and you can't wait to get there and you try to hurry the journey to your destination? Well, that's how I feel about this journey. I know that the end destination is going to be wonderful and I'm eager to get there. I just need to learn how to enjoy the road there—maybe see the sights."—Maeve

#11 ToThe4thMansion

ToThe4thMansion
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 31-August 05

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

If you want to check if you have a fan, drop the grill plate under the firebox window and see if anything is plugged into the outlet under the fireplace.

#12 scooter

scooter
  • Brambletonian
  • 4,110 posts
  • Joined 18-September 05

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Scott - thanks for the referral, however I just called them and the lady that answered said they only install fireplaces and not fankits. I don't think she knew what she was talking about - she sounded unsure.

Oh well, I suppose I may give some others a call to see if they sell/install fan kits.

Either she doesn't know what she's talking about or they've had a change in policy within the last two months, because they definitely were selling and installing them two months ago.

#13 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

Well, as a bit of an update, I purchased a fan kit on Ebay for $89. Installation looks fairly straight forward so I'm going to give it a try when the kit arrives. This was the best price that I found by far - vendors around here were selling it anywhere from $175 to $250. Hope it all works out.

#14 BDC

BDC
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Well, as a bit of an update, I purchased a fan kit on Ebay for $89. Installation looks fairly straight forward so I'm going to give it a try when the kit arrives. This was the best price that I found by far - vendors around here were selling it anywhere from $175 to $250. Hope it all works out.

Please let us know how difficult installation is. We are interested in doing this ourselves too!
"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~Milton Berle

#15 oaksandmaples

oaksandmaples
  • Brambletonian
  • 4,095 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Please let us know how difficult installation is. We are interested in doing this ourselves too!

And us, too, please!

#16 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

Will do - the fan kit should arrive either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

#17 sprinter78

sprinter78
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Fan kit arrived sooner than I thought (arrived last Sat), but I've been busy w/ a bathroom renovation so I didn't set it up until tonight.

A very easy install, however the instructions that come w/ the kit are garbage. But it is a basic plug in system with very little pain.

You plug in the blower, add in the heat sensor to the bottom of the firebox, add on the speed switch and wire it together with the wires that come in the kit (they are wires you just slide over prongs). Then turn on the fire and wait 10 minutes for the fire to heat up and the fan comes on automatically.

Definitely save yourself $200 and go buy a fan kit off of Ebay and install yourself. It really is that easy.

#18 oaksandmaples

oaksandmaples
  • Brambletonian
  • 4,095 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:30 AM

Fan kit arrived sooner than I thought (arrived last Sat), but I've been busy w/ a bathroom renovation so I didn't set it up until tonight.

A very easy install, however the instructions that come w/ the kit are garbage. But it is a basic plug in system with very little pain.

You plug in the blower, add in the heat sensor to the bottom of the firebox, add on the speed switch and wire it together with the wires that come in the kit (they are wires you just slide over prongs). Then turn on the fire and wait 10 minutes for the fire to heat up and the fan comes on automatically.

Definitely save yourself $200 and go buy a fan kit off of Ebay and install yourself. It really is that easy.

Sprinter, thanks. You seriously just helped a bunch of people!

#19 BDC

BDC
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

Sprinter, thanks. You seriously just helped a bunch of people!

+1! Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users