• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wayner

wayner
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 18-October 05
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Cycling, Cars

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Our house has two furnaces, one in the basement and one in the attic. i like to do things myself and have installed these and electric air cleaners in previous homes. But I have never lived in a house where the furnace is in the attic. Is it possible to connect a humidifier to the furnace in the attic? Will the waterline freeze in the winter?

Is installing a humidifier on the basement furnace enough for the entire house? If not what are my alternate solutions?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WayneR

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

Our house has two furnaces, one in the basement and one in the attic.  i like to do things myself and have installed these and electric air cleaners in previous homes.  But I have never lived in a house where the furnace is in the attic.  Is it possible to connect a humidifier to the furnace in the attic?  Will the waterline freeze in the winter?  

Is installing a humidifier on the basement furnace enough for the entire house?  If not what are my alternate solutions?  

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WayneR

Well, they did not have it as an option for the top floor of my house. I did have them do it in the basement. I actually wanted one in my attic because it seems nicer to have the humidifier where you spend a large portion of your day (okay, sleeping but still...).

I don't know of any water lines that go up there. I suppose there is a chance of it freezing as the insulation is on the floor as opposed to on the back side of the roof. However, you would think being directly attached to the heater would garner SOME benefits. Also, you do have a drip pan up there so as long as you try to keep it over the drip pan you will likely notice before it starts leaking through your ceiling.

Eh, the basement heater is probably good to save the hardwoods. I just don't think I am getting much of the perceived health benefits on the top floor.

#3 drama princess

drama princess
  • Brambletonian
  • 3,558 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:33 PM

A previous neighbor (previous neighborhood) had a humidifier installed in the attic, and while they were away, it flooded the second and first floors, and spread down the walls to the basement. Cost a bundle to fix everything and I think insurance covered it.
The builder here (Christopher) refused to install one in the attic, and the HVAC guy I use refused to put one in the attic, so I make due with the portable kind for now.
I guess it depends on your confidence level in it not freezing/leaking and your homeowner insurance.

#4 Eli

Eli
  • 317 posts
  • Joined 30-August 05

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

I have been told by multiple people that it is not necessary to have a humidifier on each furnace; the humidity from one will circulate around and raise levels housewide. We have one on our basement furnace, and I have to think it is better there than in an unheated attic. Ours is the continuous flow kind so there is quite a bit of water that goes through it when it is running.

-Eli

#5 wayner

wayner
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 18-October 05

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

I agree with Blaine, having moist air when you sleep seems the most benificial. Our furnace is not the continous type and we use timers to regulate when each one runs. I think we'll do the furnace humidifier in the basement, and the portable one in the bedrooms. thanks for all the feedback

WayneR

#6 ToThe4thMansion

ToThe4thMansion
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 31-August 05

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:31 AM

It might be good to purchase some humidistats and place one on each level of you home. Its good to maintain the humiditiy level between 30% and 50%. 50% and above you might start inviting mold issues. Below 30% you might start having wood funiture/flooring issues.

We have a only humidifier on the basement furnance and the past 2 winters the upper level (serviced by attic furnance) humidity levels where maintained in the appropriate range. Actually, we need a portable dehumidifier on the upper level and in the basement during the summer to keep home humidity below 50%.

In any case, I would recommend purchasing humidistats ($10-$15 each) to figure out what is happening on each level of your home, then determine needed needed humidifier/dehumidifier actions baseline on season.

#7 btxngo

btxngo
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-November 05

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:24 AM

I just had a humidifier installed in my townhouse. It cost $550 (but they had a $50 special discount, so it was only $500) including all materials and installation. I used

Algonkian Heating & Air Cond
Address: 1111 W Church Rd, Sterling, VA 20164
Phone: (703) 450-8686

They were fast and professional. The guy told me it's still a good idea to keep a personal humidifier in the bedroom where you sleep. My last house was very large and only one humidifier was needed in the basement (it had four climate control zones). The important thing is that wherever you have the humidifer, it needs a flood catch pan and some place to drain if it should flood (and of course, an automatic safety shut-off trigger in case it does flood).

#8 drama princess

drama princess
  • Brambletonian
  • 3,558 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:26 AM

That price is pretty close to what I was quoted for a humidifier from AC Doc. Aprilaire, don't remember the model.

#9 BDC

BDC
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:50 AM

Can anyone recommend a really good portable humidifier? For as much as I am spending on filters I figure I should just go ahead and buy a really nice one, hopefully without filters. I need one that will work well in a large master bedroom.
"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~Milton Berle

#10 jeannier

jeannier
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 21-September 05

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:44 AM

Doing my research I found this website, it was pretty helpful determining the best one for your needs. http://www.allergybu...pare-humid.html

The Hunter Humidifier 5 Gallon with Digital Humidistat and Nite Glo®,:
Type: Cool mist
• Room coverage: 1000 - 2000 sq. ft.
• Water capacity: 5 gallons
• Controls: Digital Humidistat
• New Endurawick Filter needs cleaning only once per season

Looks promising, but the other Hunter products tend to get low ratings on amazon.com.

We purchased the RadioShack Wireless Hygrometer and Thermostat system. Our house is currently 31% humidity, so it is getting pretty dry.

#11 BDC

BDC
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

Thanks!!
"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~Milton Berle

#12 wayner

wayner
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 18-October 05

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

Just a quick update on the humidifier. We purchased the previously noted. It raised the humidity of one room from 30% to 35% but if you leave the door open for very long it drops right back to 30% like the rest of the house. We've purchased a Desert Springs Furnace attached for the basement but first we need to do some electrical wiring as there is only one plug in the entire basement.

The humidifier is quite noisy when on high, but on low is quite bearable. On high you need to fill the tank twice a day, on low only once. As you can guess we are filling it twice a day.

WayneR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)