Dulles Landing getting closer?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 backstage7

backstage7
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Noticed a few interesting search results re: Dulles Landing. Could be nothing at all, or perhaps things are finally starting to move forward.

1. The developer web site says: "DULLES LANDING IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT!!! EXPECTED DATE OF DELIVERY: FALL OF 2013." Of course we've all seen these dates change from 2007, 2008, etc. But at least they're updating their potentially unrealistic plans. http://www.beattycos.com/

2. The site plan was last updated 9/2011. Text says: "Revised TOYSRUS and PETSMART footprints". That would hopefully indicate leases are indeed in hand and being negotiated. http://www.beattycos.../dlsiteplan.pdf

3. Found a blip on the HourEyes site: "Hour Eyes - Coming Soon Arcola, VA - Dulles Landing Dulles Landing, Route 50 & Route 606, Arcola, VA 20107, Phone: (000) 000-0000" http://www.houreyes.com/loc/645

I'm not a huge WalMart fan, but if it's nearby, I probably won't avoid the place. I do see some perimeter buildings on the plan that indicate plots with a drive-thru. I'd be ecstatic if we had some better fast food choices within 5 minutes.

I'd be happier if Arcola Center would chill with the residential construction and get that Target/Lowes/Kohls project moving. (Wishful thinking, I know)

#2 Low Gunz Run

Low Gunz Run
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 15-November 11

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

More mega-suburban junk. How about a real town center?

#3 MFLetou

MFLetou
  • 4,666 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yes.

#4 weaselVT

weaselVT
  • 749 posts
  • Joined 17-December 06

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Come on Matt, you gotta give us more than cryptic one-word answers! ;-0 I don't even know what the 'yes' was in reference to. Do you believe Dulles Landing will have stores open 365 days from now? We just need our Chick Fil A sooner than later! Or is that Arcola Center?

#5 MFLetou

MFLetou
  • 4,666 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Come on Matt, you gotta give us more than cryptic one-word answers! ;-0 I don't even know what the 'yes' was in reference to. Do you believe Dulles Landing will have stores open 365 days from now? We just need our Chick Fil A sooner than later! Or is that Arcola Center?

Ha, okay, okay...The "yes" was in reference to "Is Dulles Landing Getting Closer!"

I don't have a timeline, but there is cause for optimism on this project.

With the downturn in the national economy, I would not put too much stock into specific stores that were said to be part of any of these projects when they were first announced years ago (as Brambletonians know too well.) But, with this type of retail, it often takes one major anchor to move forward and others eventually follow, and I do believe there's progress being made with one major tenant in this corridor.

We
ve made retail a bigger recruitment focus--it was even part of the Economic Development budget increase that we passed. My colleagues and staff know I'm a broken record on this because I bring it up so often. Brambleton will certainly benefit, but the real need is for South Riding and Stone Ridge which do not have easy access to anything but Chantilly Crossing. Chantilly Crossing is fine but every day Loudoun County is losing tax revenue to Fairfax County because our residents on the 50 corridor leave Loudoun to shop there. The level of service for the 25,000 residents of South Riding and the growing communities of Stone Ridge, Kirkpatrick and others is not where it should be as far as retail and amenities.

I will tell you town center type of developments are very hard to put together. We've got a lot of good concepts and we'll see where the market goes. The reality is retailers still want more rooftops, especially in those type of developments. (Don't shoot the messenger, I've had plenty of conversations trying to get things moving and the answer is always the same).

But...overall, things are looking up. And know that as far as the County government is concerned, we're being more aggressive and a lot of us are personally involved in trying to make things work.

#6 Caligirl

Caligirl
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 17-April 11

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Dear Mr. Letourneau,

I don't know if you've heard, but we need a Trader Joes!!! :wave

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if Trader Joes went in there...who would be responsible for courting them??? I'll get in touch with that person and suggest it if it hasn't been looked at already. I am in disbelief that we don't have one. I've never heard of a TJ's failing....anywhere. WHY won't they come here???

#7 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 24-January 09

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Dear Mr. Letourneau,

I don't know if you've heard, but we need a Trader Joes!!! :wave

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if Trader Joes went in there...who would be responsible for courting them??? I'll get in touch with that person and suggest it if it hasn't been looked at already. I am in disbelief that we don't have one. I've never heard of a TJ's failing....anywhere. WHY won't they come here???

LOL... no we need another teet :) :stirthepot: Seriously though I have heard that they tried to get one to move into the former Bloom on BRR. The TJ folks allegedly came and looked at it but said it was to large a space. It would be nice if they could find a place close to here!

#8 Caligirl

Caligirl
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 17-April 11

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

LOL... no we need another teet :) :stirthepot: Seriously though I have heard that they tried to get one to move into the former Bloom on BRR. The TJ folks allegedly came and looked at it but said it was to large a space. It would be nice if they could find a place close to here!

Oh yes, another Teeter...I freak out if I go 5 miles and can't find one.. :laugh

I know TJ's likes the smaller size store. So moving into an existing space may have been a no go, but hopefully they will take a second look out here, in this or another place that hasn't broken ground yet and they can select the space size....We can hope, right??

Edited by Caligirl, 11 August 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#9 MFLetou

MFLetou
  • 4,666 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

The actual agreements are between commercial developers and the retailers themselves. However, Loudoun County Economic Development assists when possible and often helps with presentations and other information that is used to help recruit businesses. Believe me, Trader Joe's is on everyone's radar screen. They are much sought after by commercial developers.

#10 Richmond

Richmond
  • Brambletonian
  • 7,628 posts
  • Joined 22-September 05

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

The actual agreements are between commercial developers and the retailers themselves. However, Loudoun County Economic Development assists when possible and often helps with presentations and other information that is used to help recruit businesses. Believe me, Trader Joe's is on everyone's radar screen. They are much sought after by commercial developers.

Trader Joe's plan about how/where/when/why they expand is pretty well documented. They DO NOT like newly developed areas and want a more mature demographic. Unfortunately.

But wait, didn't "foodie" in Broadlands say we were getting one in Sterling? ;)

Edited by Richmond, 12 August 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#11 my3sons

my3sons
  • 1,073 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Trader Joe's plan about how/where/when/why they expand is pretty well documented. They DO NOT like newly developed areas and want a more mature demographic. Unfortunately.

But wait, didn't "foodie" in Broadlands say we were getting one

Well then, it MUST be true! (;

Edited by my3sons, 12 August 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#12 Caligirl

Caligirl
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 17-April 11

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think we should work on them :) . Loudoun County is dubbed "Richest County" year after year and is expanding faster than lightning. Would it be too much to ask if all of those who would like a TJ's take 3 minutes to go to their website and fill out a location request telling them how much they'd be loved here....

http://www.traderjoe...quests-form.asp

Thanks Guys!!

#13 Low Gunz Run

Low Gunz Run
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 15-November 11

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Town center developments are particularly difficult when you don't have a Board that pushes for such development. Let the planners plan...or at least ask their advice. Economics can be difficult, but if a business wants to be in Loudoun theyll choose to do so.

Not so sure the ec dev department is really into attracting specific retailers...not much bang for the buck. Perhaps they could work on getting Trader Joes corporate in Loudoun instead.

Edited by Low Gunz Run, 13 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#14 Oenophile

Oenophile
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 07-July 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think we should work on them :) . Loudoun County is dubbed "Richest County" year after year and is expanding faster than lightning. Would it be too much to ask if all of those who would like a TJ's take 3 minutes to go to their website and fill out a location request telling them how much they'd be loved here....

http://www.traderjoe...quests-form.asp

Thanks Guys!!

I wrote to them saying we need one in Brambleton using Callgirl's link and got this response:

"Aloha and thank you for your interest in our stores. Emails have been flooding in with suggestions for new store locations in neighborhoods all over the U.S. We love that!

Rest assured, every email is read and your recommendation will be passed along to our real estate folks.

The best place to find new info concerning which neighborhoods we’ll be in next is the Trader Joe’s Locations page at http://www.traderjoe.../find_a_tjs.asp

We hope to see you soon!

Mahalo (thanks)"

So my question is... are they a Hawaiian outfit? They certainly talk like it...

#15 Oenophile

Oenophile
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 07-July 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well then, it MUST be true! (;

It may be true, but it's not on the website yet... here are the scheduled ones opening soon:

Coming Soon:

Foxborough (Patriot Place), MA - Sept. 7th
Houston (Alabama Theater), TX - Sept. 21st
Newington (Portsmouth), NH - Sept. 7th
Plano, TX - Sept. 7th
Rochester, NY - Oct. 5th
San Antonio, TX - Oct. 19th
Sarasota, FL - Sept. 7th
Westbury, NY - Aug. 17th
Austin, TX
Dallas (Lower Greenville), TX
Houston (Memorial Area), TX
Medford, OR
Mission Valley, CA
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco (Nob Hill), CA
State College, PA
Winston Salem, NC

#16 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 24-January 09

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

I wrote to them saying we need one in Brambleton using Callgirl's link and got this response:

"Aloha and thank you for your interest in our stores. Emails have been flooding in with suggestions for new store locations in neighborhoods all over the U.S. We love that!

Rest assured, every email is read and your recommendation will be passed along to our real estate folks.

The best place to find new info concerning which neighborhoods we’ll be in next is the Trader Joe’s Locations page at http://www.traderjoe.../find_a_tjs.asp

We hope to see you soon!

Mahalo (thanks)"

So my question is... are they a Hawaiian outfit? They certainly talk like it...

3. Why do you guys wear those Hawaiian shirts?

Fun or fashion faux pas? It may not be runway model attire, but our Crew is unafraid to make a bold fashion statement. We wear Hawaiian shirts because we're traders on the culinary seas, searching the world over for cool items to bring home to our customers. And when we return home, we think grocery shopping should be fun, not another chore. So just relax and leave your worries at the door. We'll sail those seven seas, you have some fun with our finds at your neighborhood Trader Joe's.

#17 my3sons

my3sons
  • 1,073 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

It may be true, but it's not on the website yet...

That was sort of an inside joke. "Foodie" is someone who posts on the Broadlands board and claims to have inside information about.....well, EVERYTHING!

TJ's has repeatedly denied all the rumors that they are coming to Loydoun. They are very particular about the sites they choose. I imagine they'll come, unfortunately probably later than sooner.

#18 Oenophile

Oenophile
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 07-July 10

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

3. Why do you guys wear those Hawaiian shirts?

Fun or fashion faux pas? It may not be runway model attire, but our Crew is unafraid to make a bold fashion statement. We wear Hawaiian shirts because we're traders on the culinary seas, searching the world over... So just relax and leave your worries at the door. We'll sail those seven seas, you have some fun with our finds at your neighborhood Trader Joe's.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

#19 weaz

weaz
  • 5,586 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I wonder if the Hawaiian shirt policy came down from Bill Lumberg in corporate?

#20 Oenophile

Oenophile
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 07-July 10

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I wonder if the Hawaiian shirt policy came down from Bill Lumberg in corporate?

Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.... oh, and I almost forgot - ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too... mmmmkay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users