A.A. Family Dentistry?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dcohen

dcohen
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 23-August 06

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

We're new to the area and need to choose a dentist. Since A.A. Family Dentistry is right here and very convenient, I was going to consider going there.

Any feedback on them? Thanks.

#2 moultrie

moultrie
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-October 09

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

I took my daughter there, and was told she had three cavities, which they filled. A week later, two of the teeth came out ( they were baby teeth). The next week I got my insurance claim form. The Dentist basically filed claims for three root canals. When I called my insurance company to clear it up, they more or less patted me on the head and told me unless I was in the room with the Dentist while it was being done, I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, I may not be a dentist, but I do know they didn't do any root canals on my daughter's loose baby teeth while she was there for a 30 minute appointment, but Met Life fraud prevention is not in my job description so I let it drop. Needless to say, we took our teeth elsewhere.

I highly recommend Ashburn Dental Associates
20955 Professional Plaza, Suite 110
Ashburn, VA 20147
703-723-0014.

They are located at the intersection of Claiborne Parkway and Ashburn Farm Parkway. Dr. Bob and Dr. Alderman are fabulous. Very patient and careful to make sure nothing is missed. It's not as convenient as the Town Center, but well worth the drive.

I do highly recommend Broadlands Family Practice on the other side of Movie Theater, however. Dr. Renard is fantastic and the facilities are very modern and pleasant. Being able to walk to the Dr's office is a huge plus for the Town Center.

#3 mcb

mcb
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 18-March 08

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

I have good experiences with Dr. Dina Brambrey - she's over where the 7-11/IHOP is at.

With any dentist you go to, other than patient referrals, try and check their record with the state licensing agency as well as the state dental association. this will tell you if there are any complaints on file for the particular dentist. also, if they are members of the state dental association and you have a problem, there is an additional grievance system in place. if they are not members of the dental association, you're SOL (though you can still go through the state agency to file a complaint, often times the result is not as satisfactory).

here's the VA Board of Dentistry (licensing agency):

http://www.dhp.state.va.us/Dentistry/

Virginia Dental Association:

http://www.vadental.org

#4 sportzfish

sportzfish
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 12-April 07

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:30 AM

I took my daughter there, and was told she had three cavities, which they filled. A week later, two of the teeth came out ( they were baby teeth). The next week I got my insurance claim form. The Dentist basically filed claims for three root canals. When I called my insurance company to clear it up, they more or less patted me on the head and told me unless I was in the room with the Dentist while it was being done, I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, I may not be a dentist, but I do know they didn't do any root canals on my daughter's loose baby teeth while she was there for a 30 minute appointment, but Met Life fraud prevention is not in my job description so I let it drop. Needless to say, we took our teeth elsewhere.

I highly recommend Ashburn Dental Associates
20955 Professional Plaza, Suite 110
Ashburn, VA 20147
703-723-0014.

They are located at the intersection of Claiborne Parkway and Ashburn Farm Parkway. Dr. Bob and Dr. Alderman are fabulous. Very patient and careful to make sure nothing is missed. It's not as convenient as the Town Center, but well worth the drive.

I do highly recommend Broadlands Family Practice on the other side of Movie Theater, however. Dr. Renard is fantastic and the facilities are very modern and pleasant. Being able to walk to the Dr's office is a huge plus for the Town Center.

It is a bit disconcerting to think that dentistry at some places is like going to the auto mechanic....you know something will "need" to be fixed but it always amazes me what they come up with.

#5 dcohen

dcohen
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 23-August 06

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks so much for the information. It definitely is diisconcerting that trying to find a doctor or dentist is alot like looking for an auto mechanic, electrician, or plumber.

Thanks mcb for the recommendation to check with the VA Board of Dentistry (licensing agency) and the Virginia Dental Association!

#6 RenVen

RenVen
  • 2,616 posts
  • Joined 26-December 07
  • Interests:I am a rabid UFC fan. I don't know what a Kardashian is or does. And bababooie to you all...

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Our dentist did exactly the OPPOSITE with my son's teeth- they found a cavity- said he was losing the tooth very soon anyway so not to worry about it. they are very honest, organized and gentle! I like them as muhc as I can like any dentist, as a confirmed dentaphobe... :dunno

VIRGINIA DENTAL SOLUTIONS
Be the Change You Want to See in the World... paraphrased: don't act like the d-bags you make fun of.

#7 boopieman

boopieman
  • Brambletonian
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 02-September 05
  • Interests:older women, golf, skinny skiing, going to bullfights on acid, mountain biking, gourmet cooking

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

What's worse than having your doctor tell you you have a VD?
Having your dentist tell you.

Thank you! I'll be here all week.
Shalom

#8 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 24-January 09

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

What's worse than having your doctor tell you you have a VD?
Having your dentist tell you.

Thank you! I'll be here all week.

:shock: Try the fish and don't forget to tip your wait staff!

#9 2ofus

2ofus
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 15-August 08

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

avoid the reflection dental, in any of its names,,, they use a lot. they rip you off, and the dentist have no idea what they are doing, I had to file a complaint on mine, after he took off! left me with out a tooth for 2 months while their manassas office tried to fix the problem. they also suck. I need to get my INS co to get all the money back he charged them for that they did not even do.
its scary to think what is out there... I have tried three...

I am now happy at Bloo.

#10 SUPERSTEW

SUPERSTEW
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 14-December 06
  • Interests:MEDICINE. AVIATION.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

We love Papageorgio/Skordalakis behind the IHOP in Sterling and Barakat Orthodontics on Nokes Blvd. The kids look forward to their dental appointments and the entire staff is great.
Endless Summer!

#11 laguna5243

laguna5243
  • Brambletonian
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-December 08

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

We tried A.A. and took the entire family there to support the community. We won't be going back.

The dentist (I forget her name) was very nice and treated our kids well. But the billing and insurance was all screwed up. She did some work in my mouth that five months later still doesn't feel right. The assistant that did my x-rays made it feel like my face was in a boxing match. It's really too bad. Like I said, I liked the dentist, but her help is no help to her. And the person that does her billing is just not doing his job.

When we were leaving we made our next six month check-up appointments, we'll be cancelling them and making appointments with Bloo.

#12 laguna5243

laguna5243
  • Brambletonian
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-December 08

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Now that I went off on this, I looked at when the first post was. So, my reply was a little delayed.
But I still feel the same way, so maybe it will help someone else.

#13 Kimchee

Kimchee
  • Brambletonian
  • 10,605 posts
  • Joined 09-September 05
  • Interests:Trying to convert from couch potato to something less "couchy". Motorcycling, whenever there is an opportunity (doesn't happen very often).

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I've started seeing Dr. Avin in Sterling. I've seen both Dr. Avins, actually. And they are both awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, cdmurphy! Granted they aren't the most convenient place to get to, but it's not horrible. I hate dentists and my experiences are usually quite painful. They've both been wonderful and take great care in making sure I'm comfortable. Lil K is actually looking forward to going there.
Your boots may be for walkin', but mine are in case I need to kick your ass.

Posted Image

#14 cdmurphy

cdmurphy
  • Brambletonian
  • 11,557 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I've started seeing Dr. Avin in Sterling. I've seen both Dr. Avins, actually. And they are both awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, cdmurphy! Granted they aren't the most convenient place to get to, but it's not horrible. I hate dentists and my experiences are usually quite painful. They've both been wonderful and take great care in making sure I'm comfortable. Lil K is actually looking forward to going there.

I love them. I spent so much time there when I first started going because they had a LOT of problems to fix from the years I saw this total hack in Falls Church. Mister Doctor Avin took care of my major stuff (root canal, crown, replacing metal fillings with resin) and now that I'm maintaining nicely I usually get Mrs. Doctor Avin for cleanings and checkups. Their dental assistants and office staff has changed a lot over the years, but they are always pleasant and competent. (Plus I get to pop into Tuesday Morning when I'm done!)

I'm still not sure why they changed their last name from Ahmadi, but when I was trying to find their web site once, I came across a news story about a Las Vegas dentist named Hamid Ahmadi who lost his license for possession of cocaine and prescription fraud. Maybe they just didn't want people to confuse the two.

#15 Kimchee

Kimchee
  • Brambletonian
  • 10,605 posts
  • Joined 09-September 05
  • Interests:Trying to convert from couch potato to something less "couchy". Motorcycling, whenever there is an opportunity (doesn't happen very often).

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

I love them. I spent so much time there when I first started going because they had a LOT of problems to fix from the years I saw this total hack in Falls Church. Mister Doctor Avin took care of my major stuff (root canal, crown, replacing metal fillings with resin) and now that I'm maintaining nicely I usually get Mrs. Doctor Avin for cleanings and checkups. Their dental assistants and office staff has changed a lot over the years, but they are always pleasant and competent. (Plus I get to pop into Tuesday Morning when I'm done!)

I'm still not sure why they changed their last name from Ahmadi, but when I was trying to find their web site once, I came across a news story about a Las Vegas dentist named Hamid Ahmadi who lost his license for possession of cocaine and prescription fraud. Maybe they just didn't want people to confuse the two.

Did you ever ask if there was any relation??? I'm kidding (mostly...)

I've been having some work done as well (stuff that Dr. Michael Han had been ignoring) and Mrs. Doctor Avin (it's funny that you call her that, that's how I've been referring to them as well) has been very gentle. Mr. Dr. A says that as wonderful as he is, she's even better. I think it's hilarious when talks about himself like that.
Your boots may be for walkin', but mine are in case I need to kick your ass.

Posted Image

#16 cdmurphy

cdmurphy
  • Brambletonian
  • 11,557 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Did you ever ask if there was any relation??? I'm kidding (mostly...)

I've been having some work done as well (stuff that Dr. Michael Han had been ignoring) and Mrs. Doctor Avin (it's funny that you call her that, that's how I've been referring to them as well) has been very gentle. Mr. Dr. A says that as wonderful as he is, she's even better. I think it's hilarious when talks about himself like that.

They're such a cute couple! I've spent many, many hours in a dentist's chair (thanks, poverty and genetics) and they are by far the best dentists I've ever had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users