Accident on Evergreen Mills

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 navyfan33

navyfan33
  • 176 posts
  • Joined 29-May 07

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Anyone heard anything about a bad accident on Evergreen Mills down by Layng's Flower Farm? Heard there was a bad backup, Jaws of Life, etc. but haven't seen/heard anything about it.

#2 JuniorMints

JuniorMints
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Anyone heard anything about a bad accident on Evergreen Mills down by Layng's Flower Farm? Heard there was a bad backup, Jaws of Life, etc. but haven't seen/heard anything about it.

Nothing more than what is in the Loudoun alert system:

The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office is currently on the scene of a two-vehicle crash on Evergreen Mills Road near Fleetwood Road. Evergreen Mills Road is currently closed in both directions. Motorists are advised to explect delays in this area.

#3 gocaps

gocaps
  • Brambletonian
  • 2,091 posts
  • Joined 14-May 06

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

Just got this from LCFR's twitter...

LCFR just clearing head-on auto accident with entrapment on Evergreen Mills Rd*3 patients transported with non life threatening injuries

#4 MFer

MFer
  • 1,951 posts
  • Joined 03-November 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

Just got this from LCFR's twitter...

Unfortunately one man's injuries were life-threatening. I knew Kenny. He leaves behind a wife and 2 kids. I hate Evergreen Mills!

:-(
"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." ~Abraham Lincoln

#5 JuniorMints

JuniorMints
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately one man's injuries were life-threatening. I knew Kenny. He leaves behind a wife and 2 kids. I hate Evergreen Mills!

:-(

Very sorry to hear...was he a Brambleton resident?

#6 MFer

MFer
  • 1,951 posts
  • Joined 03-November 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

Very sorry to hear...was he a Brambleton resident?

No - Potomac Station. Worked with him at Savvis.

#7 ColoradoChick

ColoradoChick
  • 4,267 posts
  • Joined 12-August 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

:goodboy:
Never eat more than you can lift ~ Miss Piggy

#8 Veruca Salt

Veruca Salt
  • Brambletonian
  • 627 posts
  • Joined 03-November 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

Very sad and the fault of one stupid teenager. My husband and son travel that road 4x/day. Very scary.

http://www.loudouni....-crash-injuries

Edited by jelgin, 22 September 2009 - 10:53 AM.

#9 Heather Gosman

Heather Gosman
  • Sponsor
  • 5,157 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

That's so sad. :(
Heather Gosman, Your Neighborhood and Ashburn Real Estate Expert
ILoveThisHome.com, Executive Editor 20148 Real Estate
Re/Max Gateway Brambleton, VA 20148

#10 MFer

MFer
  • 1,951 posts
  • Joined 03-November 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Very sad and the fault of one stupid teenager. My husband and son travel that road 4x/day. Very scary.

http://www.loudouni....-crash-injuries

I know -- it is scary. Honestly, this is what concerns me about LCDS. We plan to start next September and I'm already dreading that drive. My hope is that they decrease the speed limit, at the very least. People go 65/70 on that road. It's frightening! I'm planning to make some calls.

I learned that Kenny was on the way to pick up his daughter from school after viewing a few homes in Brambleton. :-( He was walking and talking -- seemingly fine -- and died later from internal bleeding. His wife was in the car but survived without serious injury.

Edited by MFer, 22 September 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#11 navyfan33

navyfan33
  • 176 posts
  • Joined 29-May 07

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

So very scary and sad. I work on Evergreen Mills and get passed ALL the time (while going the speed limit). Don't know what the solution is. The speed limit is 55 in most parts which I think is way too fast for a road with no shoulder and deer darting out into the road daily (hit one last year). BUT, if the speed limit is lowered, that only increases the jerks who feel the need to pass b/c we're going too slow, leading to incidents like yesterday's.

#12 JuniorMints

JuniorMints
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

I've seen all kinds of bad behavior, including that road. I was on there with a group of fellow motorcyclists about a year ago, about 6 total. We came upon a landscaping truck going extremely slow. A flatbed tractor trailer, the kind you might see carrying pallets of sod, approached us from the rear. For whatever the reason, the truck decided to pass all of us...not to mention in a no passing zone around a blind curve. Just plain stupid, not to mention it put us in an extremely vulnerable position.

Then again, I've seen plenty of bad driving in many other places...

#13 RenVen

RenVen
  • 2,611 posts
  • Joined 26-December 07
  • Interests:I am a rabid UFC fan. I don't know what a Kardashian is or does. And bababooie to you all...

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

how awful. that 19 year old will live the rest of his life guilty of taking away a man, husaband and a father all because he was too impatient to get- where? what was so important that someone died? unreal. :(
Be the Change You Want to See in the World... paraphrased: don't act like the d-bags you make fun of.

#14 zxz942#@saq

zxz942#@saq
  • 4,271 posts
  • Joined 21-April 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I know -- it is scary. Honestly, this is what concerns me about LCDS. We plan to start next September and I'm already dreading that drive. My hope is that they decrease the speed limit, at the very least. People go 65/70 on that road. It's frightening! I'm planning to make some calls.

I learned that Kenny was on the way to pick up his daughter from school after viewing a few homes in Brambleton. :-( He was walking and talking -- seemingly fine -- and died later from internal bleeding. His wife was in the car but survived without serious injury.

So sorry to hear MFer. So incredibly sad. I hate Evergreen. Not so long ago, it use to be a nice little ride to Leesburg-felt like you were still in country. Now, I avoid using at all cost.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." ~Albert Einstein

#15 Yoink

Yoink
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Passing should be a legal thing, and can be done safely when it is performed in a safe part of the road (where it is legally permitted via dotted/separated yellow line). Speed limits are fine, and I doubt the speed limit was to blame for this. Crossing over a double yellow line (as can be seen in the pictures) to pass is not only illegal, but terribly stupid and unsafe. It's just heart breaking to see a story like this caused by something as impatient as passing a car through a double yellow line. Don't blame the speed limits, blame the jackass kid who chose to pass on a double yellow line.

#16 gocaps

gocaps
  • Brambletonian
  • 2,091 posts
  • Joined 14-May 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Do we know for sure that he was just impatient? Couldn't it have been a situation where he rounded a turn and immediately had to swerve to avoid stopped cars? I mean, he should have gone to the right instead of left over the line, but split second reactions are hard.

I don't know. He probably was being stupid, but I'd rather be on the careful side when pegging another man's death on the guy.

#17 Suzie Q

Suzie Q
  • 999 posts
  • Joined 30-May 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

Do we know for sure that he was just impatient? Couldn't it have been a situation where he rounded a turn and immediately had to swerve to avoid stopped cars? I mean, he should have gone to the right instead of left over the line, but split second reactions are hard.

I don't know. He probably was being stupid, but I'd rather be on the careful side when pegging another man's death on the guy.

The story reads very much this way, that he was approaching some slow cars and went into oncoming traffic. I think they're still investigating but I agree, it could have been a genuine accident.

Edited by Suzie Q, 22 September 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#18 Yoink

Yoink
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

I didn't think there was much wiggle room on that issue. The car that was across the yellow line is at fault for the accident, and in turn for the death of the other driver. I suppose the only remaining argument was whether the crossing of the double yellow was malicious/intentional, or accidental. Either way, I'm pegging the death of the man on 19 year old.

What a sad story.

#19 Lee j

Lee j
  • Banned
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 22-November 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

This is the road of death for especially our kids. It needs to be four lane divided.

#20 gocaps

gocaps
  • Brambletonian
  • 2,091 posts
  • Joined 14-May 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

I didn't think there was much wiggle room on that issue. The car that was across the yellow line is at fault for the accident, and in turn for the death of the other driver. I suppose the only remaining argument was whether the crossing of the double yellow was malicious/intentional, or accidental. Either way, I'm pegging the death of the man on 19 year old.

What a sad story.

That's a fair point. I just didn't want to assume he was some irresponsible jerk kid who had no regard for other's safety.

(But that's entirely possible... even probable)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users