#1 cdmurphy

cdmurphy
  • Brambletonian
  • 11,553 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

I just noticed a flyer in my mailbox that says:

STOP WAL-MART & STOP TRAFFIC bound for
Brambleton and Belmont Ridge Road!!!!!!!!

The flyer (from "Ashburn Citizens United") wants me to urge the Loudoun BOS to vote against the Dulles Landing Special Exception, which is apparently being considered Monday night at 6:30pm. It argues that "If allowed to go forward this will become our newest form of grid lock via Belmont Ridge." Dulles Landing is going to be on the corner of Route 50 and Loudoun County Parkway.

I don't want to start yet another "Wal-Mart is evil/No it's not" discussion. There are other things going in to Dulles Landing (Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Michael's, PetsMart, Ross, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Pizzeria Uno, Chili's, etc.), and I think they are counting on the Wal-Mart hot button to stir people up.

I looked up the legal notice for the public hearing, and it says:

SPEX 2008-0004
DULLES LANDING
(Special Exception)
The Beatty Limited Partnership of McLean, Va. has submitted an application for a special exception to permit an outdoor sales area
accessory to a permitted retail sales establishment
in the PD-CC-RC (Planned Development - Commercial Center - Regional Center)
zoning district. .... The area is governed by the policies of the Revised General Plan (Suburban Policy Area) and CPAM 2005-0007, Arcola Area/Route
50 Corridor Plan which designate this area for Hybrid Retail Center with a destination retail overlay.

I bolded what I understand to be the actual thing being sought at this meeting. How would voting against this "stop Wal-Mart"? It sounds like this shopping center is already a done deal.

Anyway, I thought I'd see what you guys thought about the traffic issue specifically. Someone obviously cares enough to distribute flyers.

#2 brambletri

brambletri
  • 1,454 posts
  • Joined 11-January 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

I looked up the legal notice for the public hearing, and it says:
I bolded what I understand to be the actual thing being sought at this meeting. How would voting against this "stop Wal-Mart"? It sounds like this shopping center is already a done deal.

Yes, thank you for commenting on this also. I was going to but my laziness got a hold of me. If I'm not mistaken, Dulles Landing is fully approved and all Wal Mart wants to do now is add a garden center, so they have to go through the special exception process.
I think this is just a failed attempt to stir up some controversy on Wal Mart, but it will likely go nowhere.

I'm thrilled to have a low-paying, labor-abusing superstore employer 5 miles from my house.

#3 kobechrome

kobechrome
  • Brambletonian
  • 1,630 posts
  • Joined 01-March 06
  • Interests:HD DVRs

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

Not sure how that would cause more traffic thru Brambleton? It would give us closer options to those listed stores. Otherwise, how is BRR affected? BRR starts all the way up at Landsdowne which has daily living take care of in their own towncenter and a Best Buy 2 miles down Route 7 West and Chilis, ToyrUS, BabiesRUs down Route 7 east the other way. Those in Broadlands, Sterling and other areas of Ashburn have most of those stores including a Walmart at DTC which is probably about equidistant.

I see it being crappy for anyone who has to travel an already terrible route 50 during rush hour... it'll probably cause even more delay but unless I'm missing something, I don't see alot of negative effect in Brambleton. I mean right across LCP, there's a huge South Riding shopping center (name escapes me) and I don't think that affects BRR at all.

#4 weaz

weaz
  • 5,583 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

I'd be happy as a clam if they never built that pile. Seriously, who needs more of this shit? Why must we experience life a series of little-whiles between retail expenditures?

#5 maeve

maeve
  • Brambletonian
  • 9,757 posts
  • Joined 07-September 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

Dulles Landing was approved June 19, 2007. It looks like the special exemption being sought is for the outdoor sales center for Walmart. I'm sure it will increase traffic on 50 but so will the approved Arcola Center, Eastgate and other approved projects down there. Now, the cynic in me has doubts as to how many of those intended stores will really open because of the current economic climate.

An analysis I found on Loudoun's Web site about retail in the Route 50 corridor.

Edited by maeve, 02 July 2008 - 04:31 PM.

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

"You know how when you've planned a vacation to a fabulous place and you can't wait to get there and you try to hurry the journey to your destination? Well, that's how I feel about this journey. I know that the end destination is going to be wonderful and I'm eager to get there. I just need to learn how to enjoy the road there—maybe see the sights."—Maeve

#6 weaz

weaz
  • 5,583 posts
  • Joined 23-September 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

Dulles Landing was approved June 19, 2007. It looks like the special exemption being sought is for the outdoor sales center for Walmart. I'm sure it will increase traffic on 50 but so will the approved Arcola Center, Eastgate and other approved projects down there. Now, the cynic in me has doubts as to how many of those intended stores will really open because of the current economic climate.

An analysis I found on Loudoun's Web site about retail in the Route 50 corridor.

Route 50 might become a ghost town of would-be retail megacenters. Hopefully somebody will at least gut a few of the big box store shells to set up paintball and laser tag facilities.

#7 MFLetou

MFLetou
  • 4,664 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

That's not just a Wal Mart, its a SUPER Wal Mart with a grocery store. Now I'm NOT a Wal Mart fan by any means...however...my parents have one of these out by them in Winchester--a new one--and its actually pretty nice. Not only that, the food prices are unbelieveablely low...they make Wegmans look like Whole Foods or something. Just every day items, frozen food, etc...super cheap.

So I really wouldn't mind this...and there really isn't a big shopping center over on this side of Loudoun...think of all the collective gasoline saved...its over 10 miles roundtrip to Dulles Town Center.

#8 cdmurphy

cdmurphy
  • Brambletonian
  • 11,553 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

That's not just a Wal Mart, its a SUPER Wal Mart with a grocery store. Now I'm NOT a Wal Mart fan by any means...however...my parents have one of these out by them in Winchester--a new one--and its actually pretty nice. Not only that, the food prices are unbelieveablely low...they make Wegmans look like Whole Foods or something. Just every day items, frozen food, etc...super cheap.

So I really wouldn't mind this...and there really isn't a big shopping center over on this side of Loudoun...think of all the collective gasoline saved...its over 10 miles roundtrip to Dulles Town Center.

I totally overlooked that it's a Super Wal-Mart. The one by my parents' house in Georgia is NICE.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these developments are pushed back somewhat due to the economy. The amount of Targets coming is absurd - one at Arcola, and one at Moorefield, not far from the one at Dulles 28 Centre.

#9 el8

el8
  • Brambletonian Admin
  • 5,076 posts
  • Joined 21-September 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

The Super Wal-Mart near Becca's parents is very nice in terms of cleanliness and staff, but the grocery store only seemed mediocre - not a great selection.

#10 becca

becca
  • Brambletonian Admin
  • 6,644 posts
  • Joined 04-March 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

The Super Wal-Mart near Becca's parents is very nice in terms of cleanliness and staff, but the grocery store only seemed mediocre - not a great selection.

That's b/c it was NOT originally built as a super walmart - that part was added much later.

Prices there are amazing! Now, I'm not sure how much cost of living (Maine/VA) vs. cheaper prices plays into but I can tell you I am always amazed by how low the prices are.

My Mom has been to the walmart in Sterling and she couldn't believe how dirty the store is. Jason is right the walmart in my hometown is super clean and the employees are friendly and helpful - if it was like that here I would shop there.

#11 mollysophia

mollysophia
  • Brambletonian
  • 5,448 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

I agree completely: that's exactly how it is in Meadville, PA too (my parents' other abode when they're not in Vienna).

The Wal-Marts around here are not very clean nor friendly. However, a nice & clean Super Wal-Mart would be good. I just hope this one has a larger selection in the grocery store part.

#12 MrChicago

MrChicago
  • Brambletonian
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 16-August 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

My Mom has been to the walmart in Sterling and she couldn't believe how dirty the store is. Jason is right the walmart in my hometown is super clean and the employees are friendly and helpful - if it was like that here I would shop there.

Concur on the Sterling store. Anytime I am there, I am looking to get a few Purell's to cleanse my experience there.

#13 adavis

adavis
  • 3,546 posts
  • Joined 08-June 07

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think it's all about the location and the newness in terms of discount stores.

The super Wal Marts at my brothers house (Cincinnati) and my hometown (outside Knoxville) are amazing. Very clean and organized, and the food prices are pretty low.

Ironically, my mom was shocked at how nice our Target is. The one near her in TX is a nightmare.

Here's to hoping if we do get a Walmart that it's a nice one. I am still more of a Target fan myself.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." -Barack Obama

#14 maeve

maeve
  • Brambletonian
  • 9,757 posts
  • Joined 07-September 05

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

Concur on the Sterling store. Anytime I am there, I am looking to get a few Purell's to cleanse my experience there.

The only time I've been in the Sterling Walmart, I was overcome with the feeling that I was visiting a NJ rest stop via the movie Brazil.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

"You know how when you've planned a vacation to a fabulous place and you can't wait to get there and you try to hurry the journey to your destination? Well, that's how I feel about this journey. I know that the end destination is going to be wonderful and I'm eager to get there. I just need to learn how to enjoy the road there—maybe see the sights."—Maeve

#15 bigt_little_odd

bigt_little_odd
  • Brambletonian
  • 1,895 posts
  • Joined 05-November 05

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Isn't "Dulles Landing" just a euphemism for "runway"?
Woo-hoo!

#16 Yoink

Yoink
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

My Mom has been to the walmart in Sterling and she couldn't believe how dirty the store is.

That WalMart in Sterling is a complete trash heap. It's got to be one of the worst WalMarts I've been in as far a cleanliness and general layout goes. Not only that, but the entire staff seemed to not speak english, and I'm pretty sure I was one of the only customers in there who spoke english as well...felt very out of place last time I was in there.

#17 NumberSix

NumberSix
  • Brambletonian
  • 8,477 posts
  • Joined 08-September 05

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

The only time I've been in the Sterling Walmart, I was overcome with the feeling that I was visiting a NJ rest stop via the movie Brazil.

Interesting imagery there maeve :wink:

#18 Patt

Patt
  • 5,418 posts
  • Joined 15-September 05

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

WALMART.. AWESOME.

Now I will have a place closer to my house to sell my car in their parking lot.
King of Brambleton

Sarcasm is just one of my talents.

#19 paky

paky
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 21-April 08

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

That WalMart in Sterling is a complete trash heap. It's got to be one of the worst WalMarts I've been in as far a cleanliness and general layout goes. Not only that, but the entire staff seemed to not speak english, and I'm pretty sure I was one of the only customers in there who spoke english as well...felt very out of place last time I was in there.

I prefer to refer to it as DirtMart!
"personal accountability and responsibility" -my husband

#20 Red County Bound

Red County Bound
  • 4,919 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05
  • Interests:Good, strong, substantive debates on issues of consequence with serious thinkers committed to challenging their own thinking, and not just the thinking of those with whom they disagree. And, I have many other interests too -- get real!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

From a value proposition -- the Walmart store is better than 500 more new, now affordble, homes. Adding to the tex revenue by enhancing the value of the property -- without bring in 1000 new school age kids is good.

I have never been in a Walmart -- but this now increases the likelihood that I will.

Hope it is a "good" Walmsrt -- after reading this discussion.
RCB

I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes. And just for that one moment I could be you. Yes I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes, you'd know what a drag it is to see you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users